In April 1945 in Warsaw, the National Motor Office, from which the Provincial Motor Offices (WUS) were elected, from which motor organisations were subsequently established under the name of the National Motor Communication (PKS). The legal basis for the establishment of the PKS enterprise was the Council of Ministers' decree from the 16th of January 1946 on the establishment of the national company 'National Motor Communication' (Journal of Laws from 1946, No. 4, position 31).
In 1945, the Provincial Motor Office in Kraków establishes the Kraków branch of the PKS company, called the National Motor Communication Kraków Branch. In 1946, having acquired the pre-war coach station building located in Kraków by św. Ducha square, the Kraków PKS branch was granted a permanent location where regular coach routes started and finished. From 1947 until 1952, the Kraków Branch of PKS, managed the stations in Kraków, Tarnów, Zakopane, Nowy Sącz, Rzeszów, Kielce, Przemyśl and Krosno.
As a result of the political system transformation, the PKS national company, was divided in 1990 into 176 companies. Some of the subjects were terminated, consolidated, communised or privatised.
In 1999, on the basis of the Commercialisation Act of the National Motor Communication company, a sole-shareholder company of the State Treasury was established under the name National Motor Communication (PKS) in Kraków plc. Since 2008, the majority shareholder of the Company has been the Province of Małopolska. On the 1st of May 2012, the PKS in Kraków plc sold all of its transportation part to the Motor Communication and Haulage Company Oświęcim plc.
The Małopolska Province, in accordance with the 'Development strategy for the Małopolska Province' adopted by the local Assembly (decree no. XXIII/250/2000), one of its paramount aims was determined as „better communication accessibility of the whole region”, including „efficient system of internal transport”. This role was to be performed through the concept of establishing the Kraków Communication Centre, consisting of, amongst others:
One of the main undertakings aimed at improving the passenger servicing of the city of Kraków and the whole province, became then the construction of the new coach station, which was the implementation of the Kraków Communication Centre concept. In order to implement this undertaking, on the 28th of October 2003, the company was established under the name of the Regional Coach Station in Kraków Ltd (RDA). Its founders and initial partners were: Małopolska Province, Kraków City Borough and Motor Communication Company in Kraków plc.
At the end of 2005, a modern, two-level coach station along with an office-services building was opened in Kraków, in Bosacka 18. The RDA Company in Kraków Ltd has been developing constantly carrying out coach station activities. In 2012, it bought the rights of perpetual usufruct for the Coach Station in Nowy Sącz, starting the new phase of development with regards to management of coach stations in the region.
Following the contribution submission of the RDA in Kraków Ltd shares of the Małopolska Province partner to the PKS company in Kraków Ltd and following the share write-off of the City Borough of Kraków, PKS in Kraków Ltd became the sole owner of the Company's shares.
On the first of July 2013, the RDA in Kraków Ltd and PKS in Kraków plc merged in the mode of 492 § 1 point 1 of the Commercial Enterprises Code, in relation to article 516 § 6 of the CEC, that is by taking over all the assets of RDA in Kraków Ltd by PKS in Kraków plc. As a result of the merger, the PKS in Kraków plc changed its name into 'The Coach Stations of Małopolska' plc (further referred to as MDA plc) and sustained its operational activity in the dependant coach stations.
As a result of implementing the changes, The Coach Stations of Małopolska plc currently manages three coach stations within the Małopolska Province, located within the city of Kraków, Nowy Sącz and Proszowice. Thanks to many years of experience within the scope of its activities, the Company currently focuses its operations on the investments enabling the improvement of quality and comfort of travel.
As a subject, the MDA plc carries out its activity at the Kraków Communication Centre. Using the services of the Coach Stations of Małopolska plc enables the complex access to all possible means of transport in Kraków. Because of this solution, the Passengers, tourists as well as everyday commuters, can use the city, regional and also the long-distance and international connections in a convenient way.
Within the framework of its activity, The Coach Stations of Małopolska plc provide the following services:
As part of the coach dispatching activity from the coach stations, the Company has agreements on carrying out passenger servicing with over 200 Carriers, of which almost 1200 coaches are dispatched from Kraków and over 500 from Nowy Sącz daily. Annually, around 13 000 000 Passengers use the passenger services of the Coach Stations of Małopolska plc.
Amongst the investments carried out by the Company, one should note the numerous modernisations implemented at the coach station site with regards to road works, renovation of station surfaces and the office and servicing facilities, as well as investments for the City Communication Company aimed at better traffic management at the Kraków Communication Centre.
Amongst the undertakings planned for the forthcoming years, the widely understood investments aimed at coach stations' development may be mentioned, which would enable the enhancement of infrastructural capability as well as the range of services offered to the Clients. Without doubt, all projects shall provide the improved standards of work, the quality of offered services and above all, the safety of passengers.